Committee Chair: Nicole Cribbs
Do you have a special talent for sharing your love of nature with others?
Are you a talented photographer or illustrator?
Can you help to educate citizens of all ages throughout Florida?
Then consider joining the FNPS Education and Outreach Committee!
The Education Committee produces events and support materials to assist members and the general public in learning about Florida native plants:
- Presentation to educate Florida’s decision makers at various levels about the mission of the Florida Native Plant Society. This presentation tool will communicate the importance of conserving Florida’s natural communities as a means to encourage support for the FNPS mission throughout Florida. The Committee will soon be looking for photos to use in this presentation. Future presentations for various audiences are also planned.
- Library of chapter-created presentations. All presentations will be a resource for FNPS chapters to use in their local communities and/or at monthly membership meetings. We invite chapters to create educational presentations on native plant and conservation topics. When a chapter-created presentation is complete, the Education Committee will also work with FNPS Administration to distribute the final presentation to all chapters. The eventual goal of this ongoing project is to provide a library of materials that chapters can use.
- Outreach presentations for chapters.
- Plant profile presentations. The first of these presentations are available, thanks to member Mark Hutchinson. Mark's presentations can be downloaded from the Downloadable Documents page.
POTENTIAL FUTURE PROJECTS
- A curriculum guide for classroom teachers to use with elementary school students
- Additional presentations for FNPS chapters to use with various audiences
- Educational displays
- Demonstration gardens
- Natural history workshops for teachers
- Nature workshops for members
- Workshops and learning events for people interested in native plant landscaping
- Pamphlets on Florida Native Plants
The Education and Outreach Committee needs a new leader! This is a wonderful opportunity to use your creative talents and ideas to educate FNPS members and Florida’s citizens about the use and value of native plants.